The Bike Inn is proud to announce that we have been accepted as an approved ELCAS learning provider, offering the Institute of the Motor Industry (IMI) accredited Level 3 qualification in Bicycle Mechanics.
We understand that leaving the forces and settling back into civilian life can be a daunting prospect. You want to find employment – but you may have difficulty translating your accumulated skills and experience into the requirements of a more regular job. Our qualification course and training arms you with the necessary technical knowledge to be able to successfully carry out a cycle maintenance role within an established workshop. In addition, we also give advice and practical tips if you are wanting to set up your own repair and maintenance business.
The Bike Inn has been training top notch bike mechanic professionals for over 30 years. Many former graduates going on to pursue successful careers within the industry, or run their own lucrative business in this field. In our time we have trained many hundreds of forces personnel, of all ages and ranks, from Army, Navy and RAF, as they prepare for the next chapter of their life.
We choose to offer the IMI qualifications because they have what we deem to be the best and most relevant modular course structure. It is also the only internationally recognised qualification, whilst additionally fulfilling the necessary credentials required for professional insurance purposes.
The Level 3 course comprises the following subject areas:
• Tool selection depending on working environment
• Preparing frame elements for assembly
• Standards, compatibilities, diagnosing, repairing and maintaining major frame elements
• Diagnosis, maintenance and repair of rim, disc and hydraulic brakes – to advanced level
• Comprehensive gear systems including ratios, chain line calculations, installation, indexing and troubleshooting
• Suspension forks and rear suspension – to advanced level
• Tubular and tubeless tyres
• Wheel building
• Bearing technology
• Electric gears
• Ebike specific diagnosis, maintenance and repairs
• Customisations – professional bike fit, frame geometry, component selection
• Coaching techniques
• Quality control, handling customer complaints and consumer legislation basics
Our course runs over 3 consecutive weeks, Monday to Friday, at our training school and workshop premises in Appleby-in-Westmorland, Cumbria.
For any avid cyclist or bike enthusiast our location is seen as cycling nirvana. We have some of the country’s best and most beautiful scenery right on our doorstep (or so we like to think!). We encourage all our students to get out on their bikes during their time with us – and if she is back from competing in Europe, UCI team member Henrietta Colborne (a partner in the business) will gladly take you on for the cycling challenge of your choice!
For more information, or to discuss how our training can help you build your new career, call us on 01768 347979.